Common Outdoor Plants That Can Be Toxic to Your Pet.

Crocus

Crocus plants come in two varieties, the spring-blooming and the autumn-blooming. Both can cause abdominal pain, vomiting or diarrhea, but the effects of autumn crocus are much more severe. Autumn crocus can cause gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage and respiratory failure. If you’re unsure which variety your pet might have ingested, take the plant and your pet to the vet immediately.

Azalea

Eating azalea leaves can result in vomiting, diarrhea and excessive drooling in pets. Azalea's are extremely toxic to dogs and cats and can lead to coma and death if not treated immediately.

Cyclamen
Cyclamen plants are tubers that grow through the autumn and winter seasons. It's roots are especially toxic and pose a threat to dogs who dig out the plant. Eating cyclamen roots can cause severe vomiting and even death.

Lilies
Lilies come in many varieties, some fairly harmless and some highly toxic to pets. Peace, Peruvian and Calla lilies can irritate pets' mouths and cause minor drooling. But Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese Show lilies can cause severe kidney failure in cats, even if very little is ingested. Dogs do not tend to have the same reaction, but it is best to keep them away from lilies of all kinds.

Daffodils
Eating the crystals found in the outer layer of daffodil bulbs can irritate pets' mouths and cause drooling. But eating any other part of a daffodil can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, heart arrhythmia or respiratory distress in pets.

Lily of the Valley and Foxglove
Although they are two entirely different plants, Lily of the Valley and Foxglove, can trigger the same symptoms in pets that have ingested them. Vomiting, diarrhea, a drop in heart rate, severe arrhythmia and seizures are common and can be life-threatening.


Tulips
Tulip bulbs are extremely toxic, particularly to dogs that dig them up. Chewing on the leaves or stems can irritate your dog's mouth and esophagus and could lead to drooling, vomiting or diarrhea. Typically, the animal's system is flushed with fluids and recovery is likely. Eating the bulbs, however, can lead to rapid heart rate and severe respiratory distress.